Thursday, February 3, 2011

Watt Watt ! ! !

Power sim on-the-cheap!
One of the training possibilities I’ve been dabbling with over the last couple of months has been the use of a power meter device (rather than relying solely on heart rate) to gauge, monitor, tweak, and keep within proper training intensity. As power meters like PowerTap, SRM, and Quark are quite pricey, I decided to start playing around with a more economical alternative that is made to work with my Kurt Kinetic trainer… With a help and tutelage of a friend of mine who has wholeheartedly started using a REAL power meter, I started to establish and follow my numbers.

Data Overload! (Ok, not certain who these data actually belong to)

AND … Just as I suspected I would, I quickly found myself overwhelmed with a vast array of data, and just as quickly found myself not-so-interested in it. This, if anything, is a reality-check for me. I am, simply, NOT a “numbers” guy. While I can FULLY appreciate, and do not doubt the value of power as a metric and training tool, I know myself well enough to know that I would not end up using this amazing piece of training technology to really get the most out of it or make the expense worthwhile. I also believe that approaching such an upgrade with a “I spent all that money, and that should motivate me to use it…” attitude is probably the WRONG way to go about it.

 No… I’ll just tell myself that I’m just more of an “old-school” sort of guy when it comes to training. There’s an old legend about the great Eddy Merckx once having responded with “ride lots” to the question of what his training secret was. And, while I’d like to say that it works particularly well for me, who AM I kidding, right? The mileage I put in from season to season might vary, but beyond the quality miles, there are simply too many other training variables (nutrition, sleep, focused training, etc.) that I can still vastly improve upon before I go throwing a couple thousand (more) dollars at my lackluster motivation and fitness.

Merckx rode "lots"... and won lots too
It’s not so much an economic decision, really, as it is a moral, be-true-to-thyself sort of reckoning. It’s just not who I am, in the same way that purchasing a couple pairs of Assos FI 13 S5 bib shorts (the alpha-numeric bit is secret code for OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE) is just not me. Swiss-made Assos cycling clothes are, by the way, supposed to be worth every penny. And, the way I see it is that they’d sure better be, for as much as they cost. I think I’ll start with a pair of Assos socks and maybe go from there? I have used the Assos chamois cream, and I can most certainly attest to its virtues. BTW, this is a fine product as well: http://www.enzoscyclingproducts.com/products/chamois-cream/enzos-buttonhole-4oz  But, I digress...

Again, it is worth pointing out that using a power meter really IS the most effective, accurate training tool to use when following a “scientific,” training program. And therein, lies the rub… It takes a greater deal of structure and intrepid dedication to stay on the task of following such a prescribed program in order for it to be most effective. I either enjoy the mystery of the guesswork, or I’m simply too much of a lazy schlub to bother with downloading all the data and they try to make sense of it.

When Bear Claws Attack!
No, I’d rather think of different metrics for training purposes… like how many miles and how fast I have to ride to burn off that last Panera bear claw I ate, or am about to eat after whatever ride I am on (especially a weekend ride). Okay, even that much rational thought seems to take the fun out of the experience. I did, however just read that those bear claws are about 440 calories EACH!!! Talk about a bear claw attack! I have first-hand experience with these, and let me tell you, they put up a good fight, but worth every bite. And, unlike the Assos shorts or wattage-measuring wonder tool, deliver results every time!

If you choose to train with a power meter, then more power to you (no pun ORIGINALLY intended, but now that I see it, let’s go with it). I just know it is not for ME … at least, not at this glorious juncture of my amateur bicycle racing career. Either way, you should not take my advice (nor did I claim to be dispensing any) … And besides, why should you believe anyone who’s given this much thought to the virtues of certain pugilistic pastries over sounder training-related nutritional choices?

"SUGAR BOMBS" Oh, the HORROR!
Speaking of which, I literally have a bike racing colleague who once referred to my choice of what I had assumed a healthy snack (a Honeycrisp apple) as a “sugar bomb.” An APPLE!!! Damn, I should have known that any fruit with the word "honey" as part of its name was just too good to be true! Needless to say, this racing icon of the local scene is a sight to behold whenever he’s turning his pedals in anger. He does of course, use his power meter to its full potential. And he no doubt watches what he eats, gets enough sleep, and puts in the sacrifice and dedication that it takes to excel in our grueling sport. But where’s the fun in that?

4 comments:

  1. Power output is a much better gauge than HR. Personally, I prefer neither (and I've tried both), but I'll admit to looking at my watts on the rollers. Good luck with your season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anyone who refers to an apple as a "sugar bomb" has issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want to try a power tap we have a Power Tap wheel and computer demo at the shop.

    ReplyDelete